Monday, March 16, 2009

those were the days...

On days like today, Day #


when I only have the baby to take care of, I wonder what I did in all that time before I had children, or even when I only had one child. I've tried and tried to remember, but I just can't. The kicker is that I felt like I was busy. Especially after my first was born, I thought I was doing well to get as much done as I did (which was practically nothing).

I've decided it's me. My capability has changed. (Obviously, or I'd be a complete nut with four kids. As it is, I'm only partially a nut.) I'm fairly certain I could do nearly anything at this point if I were just taking care of one, or even two, children. I don't even dare imagine what kind of trouble I could get myself into without any children...

It's probably the sleeping-in-until-after-10 that's talking. Don't mind me. (And don't hate me. I was still up several times overnight feeding the baby. And I still woke up in the recliner.)

Did you notice the shape of my present? Although my girls aren't here to guess, I feel fairly confident in surmising that Alaina would've guessed a candle. Heck, on shape alone I guessed a candle. But it wasn't heavy enough. And it didn't sound right. When I shook it, it sounded more like sand. Knowing there was little to no chance I got sand as a present, my best guess was colored sugar for cookie decorating, even though it would've been the biggest container of colored sugar I had ever seen in my life.

So, I opened it, resigned to the fact that I was about to get another one wrong.




But then I didn't care anymore about getting it wrong! Because I got chai. I love chai. I've been drinking it since long before it was trendy. You know, when you had to know how to make it yourself. :) Helps that my dad is Indian (dots not...never mind, you get it).

One of my favorite parts of this gift is the tin. Look at that elephant! It is so quintessentially Indian it just makes me happy. I know it sounds crazy, since I've only been there twice in my life, but I really do miss India and my family there. I don't even know that I could adequately explain the things that I love about it. You'd have to come with me and see for yourself.

I must admit that I wondered exactly how you take chai and use the words "Italian Hazelnut" as a description. So I had to try it.



It has an interesting flavor. It is definitely chai, but I can also taste the Italian Hazelnut flavor. I never would've guessed it possible with any success. I think it would be best frozen. Conveniently, there are directions on the label for that!

Oh, and in case you'd forgotten, tonight is rodeo night! I know you will be anxiously awaiting my commentary tomorrow!

6 comments:

raj said...

You should try the new Apple Chai on your next coffee night. It's delicious.

aziner said...

haha I totally thought, "she should keep the tin, it's so cool!"

I miss India too, particularly the way it smells, which is really something that can only be understood by people who've been there. First thing I do whenever I get something from India is smell it! :)

so are you planning to make Italian Hazelnut chai popsicles??

Amber said...

I've tried the berry chai. I really liked it. I'll consider trying the apple.

You are so right about the smell! I do that, too - just stick my nose in whatever it is that came from India.

I don't know about popsicles...I think I'd have to add some alcohol in order for them to freeze properly, and as that's out of the question right now, I'll probably just have to stick to a chai frappe. Though the thought of chai popsicles is intriguing...

aziner said...

actually gelatin would probably be better than alcohol. alcohol would prevent them from freezing all the way, more chai slushie if you will. whereas gelatin would give you a nice pudding pop texture. :)

Amber said...

gelatin, eh? that is worth some investigating...

aziner said...

should work nicely. let me know if you want help figuring out ratios and all that.