Tuesday, March 17, 2009

once again, here we are

Another palindrome day!

It's Day #


I totally got this one! So did Jadyn, for that matter. There are two things in this one, and it's a book.



Okay, so it was two books. I showed it to Alaina, whose response was "Another one?" There are some really cute desserts in this book...including May Day basket cupcakes. I'm a bigger fanatic about May Day than I am about Pi Day (I know, hard to believe), so watch out!

So we went to the rodeo last night, which makes my boots totally legit now. I actually had a lot of fun. It was a little bit like going to a foreign country, except I knew the language, or at least most of it.

The rodeo started at 6:45, and we arrived at 7:30. We had planned on arriving late, knowing that there were actual rodeo/animal-type events happening before the concert, and as we know basically nothing about such things, we weren't going to break our necks getting there right on time.

So we got there, got some food, and then found our seats. We sat down during the middle of the Saddle Bronc Riding, which was followed by Steer Wrestling, Barrel Racing, Bull Riding, Calf Scramble, and Mutton Bustin'. The whole thing was fascinating to me. Seriously. It's interesting to find yourself in the middle of something you don't understand at all. I mean, understanding it is not complicated, so you can watch for a while and basically pick up the gist of things. But it really is a whole different world. The only thing I had some trouble with was the Mutton Bustin'. For the uninitiated, that's when a series of 4-6 year olds throw on a helmet and hang on to a sheep for as long as they can. It's somewhat amusing and cute, but at the same time, I was a little disturbed. I'm sure it's completely different for a child who has grown up on a farm around animals, but the thought of one of my girls trying that was disturbing. (Hey, I've always freely admitted to being a suburbanite.)

And then there was the concert. The stage was on wheels. The thing just drove on out to the middle of the rodeo arena. It was pretty impressive. Yes, I went to a country music concert, and I had fun. Don't die of shock. Darius Rucker wore a baseball cap. It was hard to tell, but it looked like a Tiger Woods cap. That's the kind of country music star I can handle. And the dude playing the electric guitar looked more like he belonged in the Foo Fighters than on a rodeo stage.

So happy birthday to me! There are pictures, but they're currently on their way back to Kansas, so I'll post some as soon as I get them. Definitely a 30th birthday to remember!

4 comments:

Ashlee Liddell said...

I am so glad that you had fun! I had so much fun as well, and I hope the night your boots became legit for years to come!

aziner said...

umm, can I please get a copy of the May Day basket cupcakes page?? I'm sooo having a party this year since it's a Friday!

haha thanks for explaining Mutton Bustin'. It sounds amusing, but yes a bit disturbing. glad you had fun!

Amber said...

I can definitely pass along the May Day basket cupcakes. I was pretty surprised when I saw that in the book, actually. How many people have even heard of May Day anymore? And hooray for May Day on a Friday!

aziner said...

that would be quite lovely, thank you. yeah, no one's heard of May Day but that's b/c they're not cool enough. it is part of my life's mission to remedy that.