Monday, March 02, 2009

here I am to save the day!

Yes, I have a minor obsession with superheroes. (Another thing that may not be psychoanalyzed, so back up off!)

Sorry, I may be a little punchy today. This is the first greater-than-5-minute period in which A.J. has been awake and not screaming at me.

This is the thing about having babies that I always seem to forget and have to relearn each time. I like to have a general idea and plan for the day - what we're going to get done when. I'm not an obsessive planner by any means, but I like to have a goal. And then there are those days when the baby just will not be put down, or one of the older ones is sick, or something. So you just have to roll with the punches and try not to be depressed that the house (and by extension, life) is sinking further into a pit of entropy. (Okay, that was a little dramatic. But you get the idea.)

But now I've had a Runza for lunch (a necessity for the psychological boon, but sad they can't freeze the fries with such success), and so it's on to blogging! (Which is clearly a more important task than dishes or laundry or somesuch rot.)

And today marks a week of the 30 Rock Tour! Day #


Smallish, but bigger than the stationery gift, and squishy but not soft. Alaina's guess was a book, which incidentally was the same as my guess.

We were sort of correct!



A cookbook! And not just any cookbook, a breakfast cookbook! I love making breakfast, especially for dinner. Eggs, cheese, and potatoes are easily three of my favorite foods. So I hope the person who chose this cookbook is prepared to have breakfast for dinner on a Friday in the near future! Alaina and I found some good recipes already.

But there was one more thing in the package.



Recipe cards! As soon as I saw them (and they are very cute, for the record), I was reminded of one night when we were at the McCools' house, and Ashlee had asked Debbie for one of her recipes. Debbie agreed, but has this rule that whoever asks for a recipe has to write it down themselves. I don't clearly remember the reasoning, though I'm sure it was sound, but that scene has just stuck in my head. I have a couple of Debbie's recipes that I had to copy myself too.

The other thing that is sort of amusing to me about this gift in general is that when I was growing up, I wasn't much of a cook. My mom always said that if a kitchen used beakers and graduated cylinders and other laboratory instruments I'd do a lot better. She's probably right because I'm not much of a cook (aside from recipes), but I'm very comfortable with baking, which requires specificity and employs lots of chemistry. Besides, who needs dinner when there's cookies? And cheesecake? And brownies? And a million other things? And now, I'm thrilled to get a cookbook and recipe cards...nuts!

No comments: