Friday, December 02, 2005

I don't blog more...

because I'm pretty sure no one wants to read about the terribly exciting things that go on in a house with two small children all day long! I'm just kidding, really, and I couldn't think of a good way to start this post. All of my friends are talking about dating, and I don't feel like I have a lot to add in that world, so I thought I'd talk about something else! (Not that those conversations are not important, because they are.)

Side note: Anyone who doubts my assessment of Jadyn (2 weeks shy of 1 year old, for those keeping track) as having way too much personality for my own good must believe me now. I have been trying to teach her the sign language for "more" and "please" for at least 3 months now, probably closer to 6. Never once has she shown any interest in actually signing the words, but I'm pretty sure she understands what I'm trying to do because she'll smile or laugh or nod her head or whatever. So the other night, Ashlee came over so we could work on our new business (jewelry making), and Jadyn was in the high chair eating cheerios while I worked on dinner. Ashlee went to the high chair and asked Jadyn if she wanted more cheerios, and you guessed it, Jadyn signed both "more" and "please" for her! Of course, she hasn't done it again for me. What a wonderful challenge God has blessed us with!

So, what I've been thinking about lately is this - what on earth is wrong with our parents' generation? (Without making a sweeping generalization, of course - I can name more than a few examples of baby boomers who "get it.") Over the week of Thanksgiving, I experienced multiple examples of so-called adults who act like children, specifically badly behaved children. And that fits with the experience I've had at church, where pretty much every ministry is being led by people under 35. (Which, I think, is far from the ideal way things should be.) I guess what I'm trying to understand is why this generation can be characterized as selfish, uncommitted, and non-communicative, and other than seeking the truth and living out 1 Timothy 4:12, what can we do about it? (To put it in context, an otherwise great family time over Thanksgiving was largely tainted by these kinds of attitudes, so much so that it would take a lot to get us to try it again.) Any theories? Anyone experienced something similar, or is it just my corner of the world that acts like this?

And just to tie it all together, I think this article on Relevant's website in analyzing the megachurch phenomenon maybe has something to do with, or is a reflection of, these attitudes. I'm still thinking about all of this, but something tells me it's all related. (Interesting article, by the way, and really about more than megachurches.)

4 comments:

aziner said...

It amuses me to no end how similar Alaina's personality is to yours and how similar Jadyn's is to mine. :)

And yes we do want to hear about the goings on in a house with 2 small children. Or at least I do & I think that's all that really matters. ;) And you're more than welcome to talk about dating, after all we could use a little insight from someone not bumbling around in the same confused existence as we are.

Jewelry making! This is very exciting, I need to hear more about that one.

I'll have to read the megachurch article and think about the parents' generation thing a bit and get back to you on that one.

Amber said...

Yeah, Joe is always saying it freaks him out a little how much our children are turning out to be me and my sibs. It is a little weird. I'm not sure I'm prepared for a Raj and a Ravi...

See, the problem with me commenting on dating is that I never did. So all I have is an abstract opinion, and I'm not sure that is helpful to anyone. But, rest assured, if I have something to say, you won't be able to hold me back! :)

The jewelry making is exciting - I'll let you know when the website is up. :)

I would appreciate some more insight into the megachurch/baby boomer thing - it's just something that's been hanging around for so long in my head, there has to be something to it.

Ashlee Liddell said...

What exactly do you mean you never dated? This is news to me...hmmm.

I, of course, think if you think the two things are connected then you must be correct.

Our corners of the world overlap so much my two cents on what I have noticed won't help....

Everyone should know that Jadyn signed more and please for me, because I am her favorite Ashlee. (that is what Alaina told me the other night, that I was her favorite Ashlee!)...and mostly because I gave her icecream and pretty much anything else she wants (as long as Amber's not watching....)

Ashlee Liddell said...

After reading the article (which was very thought provoking...) I think I see lots of connections we have talked about. The paragraph were he talks about churches full of whiney adults complaining about the power point presentation or coffee flavors all equals what you and I have talked so much about...selfishness. Somehow church is about me instead of Him or others. It is the same attitude we see in relationships and lifestyle choices from lots in this generation....

and yet, somehow it seems, our generation has a thirst for authenticity. Even if it comes at a price....like sacrifice....

May we leave a legacy much different than what we see before us today....