Saturday, July 07, 2012

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries,
And daub their natural faces unaware
More and more from the first similitude.

-from Aurora Leigh, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure what this quote means.  I mean, I understand most of it; it's just the last two lines that are a little puzzling.  What is "the first similitude?"  Is that referring to Adam, thereby stating that the farther mankind is removed from Adam, the more unaware of God we become?  I'm open to suggested interpretations, please feel free to comment!  This is the larger passage from which this quote is lifted.

Today I spent several hours on a food crawl with friends.  (Yes, it's like a pub crawl, but replace "pub" with "unique restaurants/food trucks.")  Clearly, any outing which involves good food and people who appreciate that food as much as I do qualifies as a little bit of heaven on earth in my book! 

Seriously, though, I got to spend time with people with whom, on paper, I should have nothing in common.  In truth, they are people who likewise understand that "Earth's crammed with heaven," and I have been blessed enough to cross paths with them at this point in our lives. 

And the food, well, let's just say there's a reason these adventures occur only monthly at best!  I had The Wrangler at Torchy's Tacos, and we shared a Detention, Homeroom, and Truffled Fries at Bernie's Burger Bus.  I brought home cupcakes from Sugarbaby's for those in my house left behind. 

Everyday, I want to see some of that heaven crammed into earth, even if it's just a little. 

And now I'm off to see what I can find of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's for my Kindle.

No comments: