Thursday, January 22, 2009

what is it with men and "the godfather?"

Seriously, what is it about children and cat litter that they must intersect at some point?

A couple of years ago, when Alaina and Jadyn were in the vicinity of 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old, respectively, the two of them decided to hunt for treasure. . . in the cat litter. But they weren't just digging in the cat litter. No, they were throwing handfuls of the stuff. And as the cat litter is located in the laundry room, they managed to get cat litter not only all over themselves and firmly ground into their hair, but also inside the washer and every other corner of the laundry room. It was gross. Fortunately, they were the only two children at the time, so cleaning them up wasn't major drama.

This morning, when now there are four children, Jared decided it would be a good idea to spread the cat litter from the laundry room into the hallway. Now, I will admit that it was nothing short of a miracle that he wasn't chucking the stuff as hard and as far as he could. He was, however, taking handfuls of cat litter and dropping it all over the laundry room floor and hallway carpet. But it gets better. After removing him and disciplining him and washing his hands, I sent him into my room with the other children so I could go get the vacuum from downstairs. During the 30 or so seconds it took me to go downstairs and retrieve the vacuum, Jared had gone into the master bath, where one of the cats currently lives (long story, not worth it) and picked up the cat litter scoop to play in the cat litter in there. I'm thinking, "Seriously?!? I just spanked him for that!" So once again I removed him and disciplined him and washed his hands, but this time I sat him down against a wall where I could watch him while I cleaned up the mess.

Stay tuned. I'm sure A.J. will have his own exploits with cat litter in a couple of years. . .

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, fun adventures! Dogs are drawn to cat litter to....or more specifically the crunchy protein rich snacks buried there carefully by the cat. I would find tell-tale litter in the hallway carpet when Sahara had been excavating treats, despite having a top and a cat-sized swinging door on the litter box.

The moral: always beware of puppy kisses if she has kitty litter on her nose.

Ashlee Liddell said...

The moral of the story, small children are much like dogs!

Oh dear....if only Jared could have told you what he was doing like the girls did. My guess is it wasn't a treasure hunt.... and clearly you don't envoke enough fear with your consequences! Sheesh...

I do think you might should be alarmed about the increased strong will of #3, if you weren't already.

Amber said...

Dogs and cat litter...gross.

I never thought about it, but I think you're right, Ashlee, small children are like dogs. But at least small children grow out of it!

I doubt that Jared was treasure hunting. I think it probably was more along the same lines as the thought process that causes boys to eat dirt. And I am alarmed at his strong will. I'm also becoming increasingly concerned about 2-year-oldness. One day at a time...