Wednesday, January 02, 2008

happy new year?

It's not a new year for me without a new VeggieTales calendar (which I don't have yet) and a new pillar added to my moral stance (about which you are soon to read). Sorry if you tuned in expecting a cute Christmas picture and/or nice Christmas vacation vignette...I'm aiming for that for the next post.

I returned to my normal routine this morning to find this story among the Relevant Magazine "slices" that I was catching up on. Basically, the RIAA is suing a man for ripping CDs that he purchased onto his computer for his own use.

The last grasping death throes and wheezes of an industry so out of touch with the people that it is marketing to are just pathetic.

Perhaps it seems odd that I would get worked up about something like this. I am a stauch supporter of artists getting paid for their work. I have long been opposed to the blatant copying and distribution of CDs, particularly over the internet with any and every random person. I would even rather have a physical CD than use iTunes or whatever to purchase music. But when the idiots of the RIAA, who have been completely bilking people on the price of CDs for a very long time, decide to tell me that I can't listen to music I have purchased in the format that I want, then I'm done.

Until something changes with the RIAA and their policies, I won't be buying any more CDs. I'll be buying all of my music online. I really like Amazon's mp3 website - DRM-free and cheaper than iTunes.

It's no wonder that so many bands are making a beeline for the exit when it comes to record companies.

2 comments:

raj said...

apparently the washington post guy really blew this one. http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9839897-7.html?tag=nefd.top

it appears our "ripped for personal use" mp3s are safe for now.

Amber said...

Well, now that is very interesting. So one of my other least favorite groups of people are at fault here - arrogant reporters.

At any rate, I'm glad the record has been set straight so I don't have to be angry anymore (and/or go to jail). I'm still seriously considering maintaining my position about abandoning physical CDs for the time being.