Saturday, August 27, 2005

Can someone please tell me why it is that doing work for God can be so hard sometimes? I mean, honestly - is it so naive to think that when you're doing something that is kingdom-building and relevant to the community that maybe you could catch a break every once in a while? One step forward and two steps back gets a little tiresome. By no means do I expect living and working for God to be a bed of roses, but does it have to be a pit of thorns? Seriously, it sometimes feels like our definition of things going well is just that nothing is going wrong. And what is so horribly unfair is to be in this city of giant churches with boatloads of money - churches that can do whatever they want and spend whatever they want, despite the fact that their theology leaves at least a little something to be desired. (And I'm not talking nitpicky theology stuff here.) So I guess my real question is, why does it seem like God blesses the churches that are built on shaky theological ground, but churches that are at least doing the best they can to seek after His will are forever fighting for every inch?

2 comments:

aziner said...

Perhaps it is not God who is blessing these churches, but man. His blessing comes in time and with a purpose. And I'm finding that what often seems like God's blessing in questionable places is really only earthly gain and has no lasting effect and especially comes without joy, perhaps temporal happiness but not joy. The fight is worth it, painful though it may be. And I think we both know if I can say that it must be true. :) Anyway, I am praying that things will improve.

Ashlee Liddell said...

You could always come to Needville... JUST KIDDING! I agree with Aziner, sometimes we can mistake earthly gain or man's blessing for God's. I see God's blessing in each of the kids signed up for Upward that aren't part of the church...He's entrusting them to you as a blessing for pursuing what He placed on your heart. (I realize this is different than what you were specifically refrencing, but felt it needed to be said...)