Friday, August 22, 2008

I hate summer. Have I mentioned that before? Well, I do. I didn't used to. I used to love summer, but that's another story. Mind you, there isn't really a season that I do like in this climate, but I really hate summer. Any guess what the temperature was at 11am this morning? 103. That's right, 103. And that doesn't account for the humidity and therefore the heat index, that was just the temperature. You can't even placate me with the knowledge that September and theoretically fall are on the way. It's a lie. Not the September part, the fall part. Why? Because there is literally no chance that the weather will become bearable, even temporarily, until late October at best. No, the reality is we will still be running the air conditioner in December.

I'm done complaining now. (To be fair, it is my blog.)

In other news, Jared figured out how to turn on the tv in the kitchen with the remote the other day. He thought it was basically the coolest trick ever, giggling all the way into the living room, where, sadly, the same trick didn't work on the tv there...

Alaina has decided she wants to be in a choir, which is, of course cool with me. Anyone know of a children's choir around here? She's also decided she wants to learn to play guitar and be in a band. That may have been slightly influenced by watching us play Guitar Hero...but I still told her to talk to Uncle Raj about it next time she sees him... (Yes, Guitar Hero. Yes, we are nerds. Our children had no chance.)

The Great Toy Standoff of '08 was merely the opening skirmish. It is, in fact, a war...of wills, of stubbornness, of control, of something. But it is decidedly a war. Jadyn literally fell asleep on the bench in the playroom last night because she refused to pick up toys and I refused to let her go to bed or do anything else until she picked them up. The sobering part is that I know this is not really about toys and that I have to win this particular war, for her sake. This parenthood thing is bar none the hardest thing I will ever do in my life.

5 comments:

Ashlee Liddell said...

103, I think your vision is going...

:)

What?! Alaina has given up the dream of being Rachael Ray? And a Olympic Gymnast? What is the world coming to....choir? band? ugh.

Oh that little boy is just hilarious.

I totally think it IS about the toys and quite clearly you haven't tried enough bribery.... JOKING of course, for those reading who might not know me....

What about giving her a different job all together? Have you thought about that? No suggestions on what that might be, but it just popped in my head...

Amber said...

That's the beauty of it - Alaina hasn't given up any of those dreams. She's going to be everything, besides at least 3 sports she wants to be in at the Olympics. I love that spirit - the I can do anything attitude.

I might consider giving Jadyn a different job, except that she makes a lot of the toy mess and because she'd be all too happy to do a different job. I'm pretty sure there's a lesson in there she needs to learn about doing a job even if you don't want to...

Ashlee Liddell said...

But if you could think of a job she would think is worse.......it just might change her thinking.

You know that we just have to outsmart her!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that after spending a few days in Houston, during what you called "mild" humidity, I could understand why the summer would be soul-sucking down there. :)

Your kids are too cute by the way. Raj and I were talking about them right after we woke up.

lindsey

Amber said...

Soul-sucking is a good way to put it. :)

Thanks, I think they're cute, too. The girls are really excited about you guys coming down for Thanksgiving. Alaina is in charge of decorations, and we're already talking about what kind of food to make. I'm trying to restrain myself from completely planning it until October. But expect an email October 1st. :)